Dear Quality Colleagues,
Last month, I had the chance to attend ASQ’s World Conference on Quality and Improvement. One of great take aways I brought back with me was the importance of “branding” not only at the level of an organization, but also at our OWN personal level.
We are what people see in us! We are what we tell people we are! We are what people see we do! We are what people feel about us! Now, let’s put that in a question format and answer to yourself as we look at these mean a little closer.
- What people see in you? Do people see that you are a professional in the field of Quality. Do you feel that you dress, speak and act like a professional in this field?
- What do you tell people that you are? Many times we have some very ‘reactive responses’ when someone asks us “how are you?” We answer…” Just fine!!” Wow! What a response! Are we telling people we are unhappy, disengaged, a complainer, etc. Is that response telling people what you want them to know about you?
- What do people see you do? Are people seeing the good side of you? Are they seeing that you are driven, reliable, trustworthy, etc.?
- What do people feel about you? When speaking about brands, some of the keynote speakers came to the concept that a huge component of ‘branding’ is getting others to trust YOU or your brand so that they can choose it over others! Do you feel YOU are inspiring this type of feel about you to others? Would they choose you over other options?
Not only in our careers, but in our personal lives, it is important to be very clear about what we want our personal brand to be. We have to pay close attention to these small details because they speak volumes about US!
ASQ is looking for becoming more of a global brand. Even though it has presence globally, it is looking for growing this presence in the next 5 to 10 years. It is an interesting concept that has been discussed before, but now the organization is putting a plan to make it happen.
We are crossing the half-year mark! Time flies!
I am excited and pleased to announce new additions to our Leadership Committee Team. Please join me to welcome and thank them for their contributions.
- Abel Cortez, Internet Liaison
- Gitty Yasreb, Newsletter Editor
- Reepak Gugga, Voice of the Customer Chair
I am excited for these 3 new members, because they represent what we are looking for in our section. New people willing and passionate to keep carrying the commitment and tradition of excellence that the profession of Quality represents and that our ASQ Section has proven over the years. We have opportunity to great new ideas and this is a critical component to remain current and relevant to you, our members.
Coming up in the second half of the year, there are some great opportunities for you to attend and learn from. We have the Annual ASQ Joint Technical Communities Conference taking place in Irvine September 15-16, 2016. Also, in November 5, we are partnering with other sections to bring you the Southern California Quality Conference. Look inside our newsletter for more information and save the date.
Enjoy June and I hope to see you at our dinner meeting. Happy Father’s Day!
Dieter Eckstein, BSBM, ASQ CMQ/OE, CQA
Section Chair, ASQ Orange Empire 0701